Position Description: Greater Newark Conservancy is seeking a reliable, self-guided, and motivated individual to support programming in various areas related to community engagement, food access, food production, food marketing, and food distribution throughout Newark, NJ. Primarily, the Coordinator will execute every aspect of the farm stand operation, from harvesting fresh produce at the 3-acre Hawthorne Avenue Farm and/or hydroponic greenhouse to tabling in-person farm stands and interacting positively with customers to collaborating with partner organizations to donate surplus produce. Applicants for this position should be interested in improving food access conditions and engaging community members in healthy eating and lifestyle choices. The ideal candidate will have strong relationships with communities in Newark.
The Coordinator will have a regular schedule of 40 hours per week with some evening and weekend hours required. Applicants should be prepared to maintain a consistent work schedule and be comfortable working in various outdoor conditions.
Primary Program and Field Work Responsibilities:
· Keep accurate records of all Farm Stand activities, including daily produce inventory, budgets, sales records, accounts receivable & other financial records, evaluations, customer surveys and suggestions, pounds of produce harvested, sold, and composted and management of the customers relationship management system (CRM).
· Research and implement best practices for farm stands and refine existing procedures.
· In conjunction with the Hawthorne Avenue Farm team, ensure the availability of produce and/or procure additional produce as necessary. Including but not limited to coordination and management of produce post- harvest processing, harvest data collection and inventory management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Seek out and plan community food distribution opportunities to include senior and/or low-income housing areas, collaborations with community organization, community events etc.
· Maintain professional look and appeal of Farm Stand, organize and maintain farm stand equipment, etc.
· Follow all documented guidelines, procedures, and checklists for Farm Stand operations, and recommend new or improved systems as necessary
· Transport supplies and produce to farm stands within Newark and surrounding communities
· Act as an ambassador of Greater Newark Conservancy at various public events and be prepared to talk with customers about Greater Newark Conservancy’s mission
• BA/BS or work equivalent
· Commitment to racial, environmental, and food justice
· Ability to organize and maintain detailed records
· Strong writing, communication and computer (Google suite, Microsoft suite, virtual platforms- Zoom, WebEx) skills
· Strong people management, interpersonal, and supervisory skills
· Able to work outdoors and perform gardening, farming, harvesting, and other tasks
· Knowledge/experience in horticulture, urban agriculture or environmental education preferred
· Knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese preferred
· Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required
Click here for full job description including functions and responsibilities, complete list of qualifications, salary info, and how to apply.
As a FoodCorps service member, you will lead hands-on lessons, influence healthy school meals, and build a schoolwide culture of health. Each year, FoodCorps, an AmeriCorps program, searches for its next round of leaders, including one working with Greater Newark Conservancy! The ideal candidate should believe that every child—no matter their race, place, or class—has a right to healthy food at school.
Visit the FoodCorps website for more information and to apply. Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Contact Sarah O'Leary, Director of Family and Youth Education, for questions and to schedule a pre-interview: email@example.com.