The Discovery Box Loan Collection provides inclusive, hands-on, inquiry driven learning tools. Discovery Boxes contain one month’s worth of lessons, lesson materials for 25 students, classroom display materials, and a comprehensive Teacher’s Guide.
Lessons are designed to facilitate and enhance the implementation of the New Jersey Core Curriculum Standards as well as address the guidelines for learning established by the North American Association for Environmental Education.
Each Discovery Box topic uses the environment as an integrating context for learning. This approach breaks down the traditional boundaries between disciplines. By providing learning experiences that promote problem solving and project-based activities, students develop knowledge, understanding and an appreciation for the environment, which in turn fosters self-esteem and confidence.
Discovery Boxes are available on a variety of topics:
- Urban Wildlife (Grades PreK-2)
- Introduce your students to the joys of nature through learning about the diversity of urban plant and animal life.
- Wonders of Weather (Grades PreK-2)
- Observe weather and discover the fascinating world of meteorology.
- Our City’s Plants (Grades PreK-2)
- Learn about plants in the city and discover the function of plant parts through “plant calisthenics”.
- Lenape Life (Grades 1-4)
- Unearth the rich culture of the Lenape people. Experience their music, language, and crafts.
- Seeds (Grades 3-8)
- Explore the world of seeds from pollination to dispersal. Use seed catalogues to learn about planting methods and germination.
To request a Discovery Box please email us.