Plot It Fresh Mini-Grant Program
The Plot It Fresh Mini-Grant Program extends the goals of the Growing & Urban Agriculture focus area of the Nourishing Newark Community Grants Program, which supports community-based growers, urban farmers and gardeners in Newark to 1) expand or significantly improve their production of fresh healthy food; and 2) make it available to families experiencing food insecurity, either directly or through partner relationships with pantries and other free or low-cost distribution entities. For more information about the Nourishing Newark Community Grants Program, see here.
The Plot It Fresh Mini-Grant Program supports projects that expand the production of fresh, healthy foods in Newark, NJ through community gardens and urban farms. Through this program, Greater Newark Conservancy will provide funding to assist community-based growers, urban farmers, and other gardeners in Newark to 1) establish new community gardens/urban farms, 2) expand existing community gardens/urban farms, or 3) develop programs that connect residents to community gardens/urban farms.
Grant Funding Available: Multiple grants of up to $5,000; Total of $32,000 to be awarded.
Funding Categories – Projects will be funded based on the following categories. Please note: This grant program will NOT fund improvements to a single, privately owned residential property.
- Seedling Grants - for projects that seek to establish new community gardens/urban farms
- Blooming Grants - for projects that seek to expand the infrastructure of existing community gardens/urban farms
- Connection Grants - for projects that seek to connect residents to community gardens/urban farms through garden-based programming
Eligibility – the following are eligible to apply for the Plot It Fresh Mini-Grant Program:
- Community and/or civic organizations
- Neighborhood/Block associations
- Faith-based organizations, committees/groups and/or ministries
- Individuals - may apply without a partner organization if sufficient fiscal management can be demonstrated
Grant Process & Timeline
- October 2022 – Applications Open
- December 2022 – Applications Close
- January 2023 – Application Review
- February/March 2023 – Awards Announced
- March – August 2023 – Project Implementation
- September 2023 – Final Reports Due